30 Day Book Challenge: Day 5, Day 6, Day 7

The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street) - Jon Stone, Mike Smollin Hide and Seek: with Lovable, Furry Old Grover (Pictureback(R)) - Jon Stone, Michael J. Smollin The Pop-Up Mice of Mr. Brice - Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls The Dead - James Joyce, Thomas Fasano As I Lay Dying - William Faulkner Bossypants - Tina Fey Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man - Fannie Flagg

30 Day Book Challenge Header

So this weekend was a little wacky and I didn't get to my challenge, oops, so we're doing a combined post for days 5, 6 and 7. I'll do a "fresh" post for day 8.

Day 5: A book that makes you happy

Oh, lovable, furry old Grover, how can I ever tell you what you mean to me. Sigh. These two books were among my favorites as a kid, and just to be clear, I grew up in the Sesame Street BE era (that's before Elmo), so Grover was where it was at! Just looking at the little thumbnail covers makes me grin. These books never fail to make me happy. They are my childhood distilled down into cardboard, paper and ink. These books shaped my sense of humor (which, I believe to be formidable, thank you Grover). These books were what we had as interactive entertainment before there was cable (seriously, there was a time when there wasn't widely available cable. Gather round, kiddies, I'll tell you a story of the dark times...).  When we had 6 channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, TBS,  and Channel 46-ahh Channel 46) and parents controlled all of them, all the time. Grover could keep you entertained for HOURS with just these 2 slim books. So, when I had to figure out my "happy" book, these are what jumped immediately to mind.

Honorable Mention

The name is different on this edition (mine was The Many Mice of Mr. Brice), but this pop-up book was the BOMB. I still have it. The rubber band bass is still intact, though the whiskers are a little bent now...Day 6: A book that makes you sad

Hoo, man, this was a toughy. There are a lot of books that have made me cry, or that have sad elements to them, but I really wanted to think of a book that gutted me. One that I don't really ever want to reread because it makes me too sad. That book earned its spot in in 7th grade. I read it then, it broke my heart, I've never picked it up again.

(spoiler, bad things happen to the dogs)

Honorable Mention

This is possibly my favorite piece by James Joyce (and I love James Joyce). This short story is beautiful, haunting and tragic. Sad is a too weak a word to describe it, which is why it's not the lead, but rather my honorable mention.

Day 7: A book that makes you laugh

This one is fun, I've got an unconventional choice, but it does crack me up

Don't let the title fool you, this book is really absurd and, consequently, hilarious. I mean, here's the gist, a motley crew of a family is traveling by horse and wagon to take their recently deceased matriarch (in coffin) to town for burial. Comedy gold.

(no really, between the lost teeth, the ripeness of mom-which in turn brings on the buzzards, this journey of errors is absurd in the extreme and makes me laugh every single time)

My more modern choice has to go to Tina Fey.

So, so funny, and even better on audiobook read by the author. We should all bow down to the alter of Fey.

Honorable Mention

Fannie Flagg has a fantastic sense of humor and Daisy Fay is an excellent example of it. I love Fried Green Tomatoes, but Daisy Fay is the one that really makes me laugh. It's not as poignant as FGT, but it's screamingly funny, if you enjoyed FGT or if you like "southern lit" this one is a lot of fun.