Unbreakable: The review

Unbreakable - Elizabeth Norris Unraveling - Elizabeth Norris

Huh. To paraphrase my darling husband, "Well, that happened."

I'm going to give this 3 stars, because it did make me nervous, I did have to put it down for a while for fear of the demise of a favorite character, it was action-y and entertaining, but it felt thin on substance (maybe? I'm having a hard time classifying it).

The first book,   I really liked. I enjoyed Janelle, she was kick-ass, smart, self sufficient and not completely defined by a boy or even the boy. There were certainly still the YA tropes that bug (she's the smartest, special-ist, prettiest, blah, blah, blargh), but when balanced with the relationships she had with her dad, brother Jared, mom (or lack there of), Strutz, Alex and (kinda) Cecily, I was ok with it. It was fun, it stayed with me and it felt a little more substantive than many of the YA dystopian offerings out there. This one though, didn't. (there may be some mild spoilers ahead, so forewarned is forearmed...)

It felt like, how to say this, hmmm. AH! Ok, you know when you order Chinese food and you eat it and it's awesome. It's so good that you stuff yourself and think you'll never be hungry again. Then 20 minutes later you're starving? It's like that.

Unbreakable had tons of action, Cecily! ben Plans! ben Running! ben Other Earths! ben Jail Break! ben Running! ben Doubles! ben Shot! ben Running! ben Radiation! Ben! Janelle?!?! Ben! Ben! Ben!!! but little substance. You lost most of the relationships, except for Ben, in favor of the action, so once you got to the end, well, I don't know about y'all, but I was hungry.

All in all, it's a fun, kinda brainless read, which is fine, I just expected a little more given how much I liked the first one, ah well.