30 Day Book Challenge FAIL

30 Day Book Challenge Header

"Help, I've fallen (behind) and I can't get (caught) up!"

Yeah, life, work and everything got in the way, so I've now missed days 12, 13, 14, and 15 and am perilously close to missing 16. What to do, what to do??

I know!

Ligthning Round

Day 12: A book you love, but hate at the same time

I giggled and then wept at what they did to my beloved Jane Austen. Giggle *sob* giggle *sob* giggle

Day 13: Your favorite writer:

Faulkner

William Faulkner, always and forever. Nothing says bat-shit crazy Southern lit, like good ol' Faulkner. My mother is a fish, indeed.

Day 14: Book turned movie completely desecrated

(I'm taking "desecration" seriously, that means I took out of consideration adaptations that just sucked, Golden Compass, some of the Harry Potters, Mists of Avalon, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter etc. etc. To be considered for this, it had to nearly ruin an amazing work of literature)

Gatsby

To be clear, this is any and all movie "recreations" of this book, not just the most recent one. Hollywood has never gotten it right and likely never will.

Day 15: Favorite Male Character

This might be a little dicey, but I'm going with Uncle Remus. Created by Joel Chandler Harris as the storyteller of the Br'er Rabbit folktales. Uncle Remus was inspired by the actual men and women who were slaves and sharecroppers near Harris' home. He worked alongside them and spoke with them in an effort to capture a period of our history and the folk tales and stories that transcended that horrible institution. I realize this is a loaded example, but I include it because through the stories captured by Harris and told by Uncle Remus we are given an opportunity to have the difficult and, at times, uncomfortable conversations that we need in order to understand our troubling history around race, identity and agency. To steal from the blog of the Wren's Nest Museum in Atlanta- "what if Uncle Remus, long reckoned by many scholars and readers to be a racial stereotype and a sad vestige of Old South nostalgia, was instead a remarkably nuanced character who consistently subverted white authority and Old South social codes?  Wouldn’t that be the opposite of a racial stereotype? Wouldn’t that be nothing short of bonkers?" Here's a link to the blog that statement comes from (it's long, so keep at it), but it's worth a read if you're interested http://www.wrensnest.org/everything-youve-heard-about-uncle-remus-is-wrong-part-1/

Day 16: Favorite Female Character

If you've been reading my blog or these 30 day challenge posts you know the answer to this one, boom!

Anne

Well now, that wasn't so hard, was it?