Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

(Ahh, Rachel Leigh Cook, good times)

So I finished Gone Girl: A Novel - Gillian Flynn  a little over a week ago and I've been sitting on this review ever since. I've been trying to figure out how I want to review it. To start, I think the above clip adequately represents both the "crack-like" nature of reading Gone Girl and the feeling afterwards.

This book, oh this book, what to say. I liked it. As clearly evidenced by my 4 star rating, it was a good book to read. The story was interesting, mystery intriguing, zippy pace, witty dialogue, blah, blah, blah. If I were the kind of person who could just read and move on, then that'd be it. Here's where I get into trouble with Gone Girl. I really didn't like the characters. Yes, I know, I know, that's the point. I get it. I do. There's no Team Amy or Team Nick because they are both despicable people. They're despicable in different ways and to different degrees, but they both suck. Hard.

When I read a book, if it's a book that captures my attention/imagination/interest, I stop merely reading it and it's as if it's playing before my eyes like a movie. That little thing on my "Who?" link on this blog (that you can't really read because the text is white and I can't fix it 'cause I suck at HTML and all it's ilk), you know the thing about "full body literature immersion," I'm not kidding. I'm in the work. I become the main character. It's awesome, except when it's really, really not. I'm not saying that I only want, or read, HEA books. I don't. I'm not saying that I only want, or read, fluffy, light books, or books with "nice" or redeemable characters, I don't. I love dark and difficult books, challenging characters, uncomfortable situations, bad things, whatever an author can throw at me. Bring it on. This book, filled with vitriol, hate, revenge, a study in marital discord and disharmony, is not what I want to let in.

I've tried to write why it bothers me over and over and I've deleted it each time, because it's not right and would certainly be misconstrued. Suffice it to say, this book is addictive, it's a page turner, it's a grab you from the first page, can't put it down, stay up 'til 2AM to finish it book, but it's also a little bit awful to spend so much time with such horrible people rattling around in your head.

(Personal nitpick: And, the "dumb bitch" and "c**ts" crap, yeah, that can stop any time. You can say you're a one woman misogynist all you want, Nick, doesn't make it true)

Source: http://ceilidh.booklikes.com