UPDATE: Friends, readers, Booklikers, lend me your advice...

Storm Front - Jim Butcher Fool Moon - Jim Butcher

UPDATE 12/4/13:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of y'all for the FANTASTIC recommendation to listen to the audiobook of Storm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1) - Jim Butcher. Nailed It! Holy cow did I enjoy that, so much in fact that I found myself driving around or walking the long way so I could finish it. Have just started Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, Book 2) - Jim Butcher  in book book form (what? that's a thing). So a hearty and heartfelt thank you to all of you for your wonderful advice. Yay new series!

*Ah-hem Ah-hem*

So, The Dresden Files. I've heard about them, of course, 'cause I don't live under a rock, but I've never read them. There's something about maybe the covers or descriptions that doesn't intrigue me, but I'm not sure exactly what. I've looked at them, read copious reviews, looked at them again, hovered my cursor over the "Buy Now" button more times that I can count, but I can't seem to pull the trigger. What I need is some good solid advice as to whether or not I should give them a go.

First a little help, regarding my reading preferences within this catchall "Urban Fantasy" kinda category:

I loved, loved, loved Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, Book 1) - Stacia Kane  and all the subsequent books I've read (I'm still working my way through). Terrible and Chess, such fun characters, what a cool world, gritty, kinda awful in the most wonderful way. Love.

I did not like, nor did I finish, Darkfever (Fever Series, Book 1) - Karen Marie Moning  Insipid female lead, eye-rolling male lead, didn't get far enough to gauge the world building. (However, it was probably me, I may try again later)

I tend to gravitate towards a female protagonist, however I think that's more because they seem to be more prevalent in the genres I've been reading of late (historical fiction, YA, paranormal romance, fantasy). I definitely enjoy reading works from the 'Y' side of things and many of my favorite all time books (The Road (Oprah's Book Club) - Cormac McCarthy, The Sound and the Fury: The Corrected Text with Faulkner's Appendix (Modern Library of the World's Best Books) - William Faulkner  to name just two) have male protagonists.

So, I turn to YOU  my fabulous, fanatical, fulgent Booklikes brethren to guide me in this query.

Should I read the Dresden Files books?