Late to the party...

The Giver  - Lois Lowry

So, I was a little late to the party on this book, but it's one of those that's been on my TBR pile for a loooooong time. Last weekend (you know, I need to "name" my husband so I'm not writing husband, hubby, hubs, light-of-my-life, ball, chain, that guy, whoozywhatzit. I hereby dub him Steve*) Steve and I went to see Godzilla (mini review within a review-solid monster movie, very much liked that they used the original Godzilla look that I remember, story...eh, but whatever Godzilla

electric-fire barfs down the other monster's throat

(show spoiler)

...awesome!) and one of the previews was for The Giver. Now, there was no way I was going to let a Lois Lowery book get made into a movie without me reading it first, so I promptly picked it up on Sunday night and finished it yesterday afternoon. I was familiar with the concept a little, I had an idea of what the book might be, but it still really surprised me-in a good way. It felt more like a parable rather than a novel, which I think is the point, and while that might normally bother me, or at least inspire some serious eye-rolling, it worked here.

I'm not sold on any of the "sequels" at this point, however. I think there's something really beautiful in just letting this book stand on its own, but I'd be interested if any of y'all have opinions on whether or not I should continue with the quartet, so let me know BLers!

*not his real name